Aug 1, 2018
Volume down but value up of June potato sales

The total volume of potatoes sold at retail in the U.S. was down 3.2 percent in June 2018 compared to June 2017, though the value did increase 1.1 percent with a 4.8 percent increase in price per pound. That’s according to figures compiled by market research firm IRI. The overall decline in sales was driven by a 5.9 percent fall in fresh potato volume, an 11.4 percent decrease in deli prepared sides, a 1 percent drop for potato chips and a 3.6 percent decline for canned potatoes. On the positive side, the volume of frozen sales was up 2.6 percent, refrigerated up 2 percent and dehydrated potatoes up 0.9 percent.

For fresh potato sales, all varieties saw increased volume in June except russets which were off by 10.9 percent though russets did see an 11.4 percent increase in price per pound, which led to sales value down less than 1 percent. Yellow volume was up 7.8 percent, whites were up 3.8 percent, purple/blues up 39.5 percent and reds were up 1.5 percent. The volume of fresh potatoes sold in 1-4-pound bags were up 5.2 percent while all other package sizes declined, with 10-pound bags and over 10-pound bags recording the biggest drops with declines of 15.4 percent and 12.7 percent respectively.

 

 






75 Applewood Dr. Ste. A
P.O. Box 128
Sparta, MI 49345
616.887.9008
Get one year of Spudman in both print and digital editions for FREE. Preview our digital edition »

Interested in reading the print edition of Spudman?

Subscribe Today »


website development by deyo designs