Sep 11, 2019
USDA’s final 2018 potato crop total 4.2 million cwt below estimate

Final USDA National Agriculture Statistics Service (NASS) totals state the 2018 U.S. potato crop at 450.02 million cwt, down about 901,000 cwt from the previous year.

Final figures were released by the USDA on Sept. 11, 2019. The USDA-NASS’s original January 2019 estimate for the crop was 454.314 million cwt, a difference of 1.0% from the final tally.

The average yield was up from 2017 by 11 cwt per acre to 443 cwt.

Processing

Potatoes to processing numbers continue to rise, as totals exceeded 289 million cwt, up from 284.4 million cwt in 2017 and 276.8 million cwt in 2016.

Table stock

As processing potatoes rise, table stock numbers continue to fall. Fresh spuds totaled 106.5 million cwt, down from 109.8 million cwt in 2017 and 114.2 million cwt in 2016.

Shrinkage

Shrinkage and loss numbers estimated at 25.5 million cwt, 2% above 2017.

Total value

The value of all potatoes sold in 2018, at $3.75 billion, decreased 3% from the previous year. The average price, at $8.90 per cwt, was down $0.27. The quantity of potatoes sold from the 2018 crop totaled 420 million cwt, down slightly from 2017.

Quantity sold accounted for 93% of 2018 production, unchanged from the previous year. The other 7% went either for household use or seed on farms where grown or were accounted for as shrinkage and loss.

The full report can be found here.

Final production by state, 2018

  1. Idaho              141,750 cwt
  2. Washington  100,800
  3. Wisconsin       27,135
  4. Oregon            27,000
  5. North Dakota  23,725
  6. Colorado          21,722
  7. Minnesota       18,705
  8. Michigan         18,240
  9. California        15,457
  10. Maine               15,035
  11. Nebraska          9,264
  12. Texas                 7,438
  13. Florida              5,512
  14. New York          3,886
  15. Montana           3,885
  16. Illinois               2,850
  17. North Carolina 2,318
  18. Missouri            1,665
  19. Kansas               1,419
  20. Virginia             1,034
  21. Others               1,180





75 Applewood Dr. Ste. A
P.O. Box 128
Sparta, MI 49345
616.887.9008
Get one year of Spudman in both print and digital editions for FREE. Preview our digital edition »

Interested in reading the print edition of Spudman?

Subscribe Today »


website development by deyo designs