Jun 9, 2016Frozen exports of US potatoes increases
For frozen total exports to the world are up 4 percent by volume and 1 percent in value, with U.S. exports to the world up 9 percent in volume and 5 percent by value. To the Potatoes USA target markets exports from the key suppliers are up 8 percent with U.S. exports up 12 percent.
Some specific market analysis provided by Potatoes USA is as follows:
- Japan overall market is flat and the U.S. is up 2 percent, which is a reversal of the losses of last marketing year.
- Mexico is also flat both in total and from the U.S. due to the weak economy there.
- China is up 49 percent overall and the U.S. is up 80 percent; this is due to expanding demand and the closure of the Simplot plant there.
- Central America is up 13 percent overall and the U.S. is up 7 percent, with the EU up 31 percent and closing in on the U.S. for the top spot.
- The U.S. has regained significant market share in Malaysia and Taiwan up 34 percent and 14 percent respectively.
- This has not been the case in Indonesia and the Philippines where U.S. exports are down 2 percent and 5 percent respectively in markets that are growing 13 percent and 5 percent.
Comparative export figures for U.S. frozen potatoes for the marketing year to date (July 15 –March 16) and the last quarter (January – March) for all major suppliers to Potatoes USA target markets and those we are monitoring are available by request. For more information, contact Potatoes USA Chief Marketing Officer John Toaspern by email at [email protected].